Cody's Life

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Making the Most of Grooming Time

The lack of sleep (due to Cody's bladder infection) is keeping me from writing anything interesting today. However, I'm getting better at grooming time so this whole post will be a tip.
  • Showers - Well, Cody (and vizslas in general), loves water. The hardest part of bathing Cody is to keep him from wanting to bathe every day or to keep him from drinking the water. He really loves drinking from the bathtub faucet.
  • The next three I've learned to do while he's napping. I perform them in the following order:
    • Clipping toenails - He's asleep when I start clipping his toenails (the dremel tool as well as the crate that I mentioned in the previous post is coming on Tuesday), and the worst that can happen is that he'll be half-awake when I finish his nails. He's still when he's napping and there's less danger in cutting his quick.
    • Brushing his coat - Gets him back to sleep before I stick my finger in his mouth for the next task.
    • Brushing teeth - For vizslas, it's recommended to be done daily, which is a little difficult for a puppy that can't stand still. He'll wake up a little bit, but not after getting a couple of sweeps in there.
  • I haven't started cleaning his ears yet (the cleaning stuff is coming on Tuesday as well), but I imagine it will fall somewhere within the "napping" time.
Oh, and an update on potty training. He's now peeing on the potty training pads that are inside as well as peeing outside. I'm a little concerned that he'll start getting used to peeing inside. I'm glad it's on the pads rather than the carpet, but still... Well, I'm sure it'll be easy for him to consistently pee outdoors once I move his potty pads outside too when he's 100% better (I think he's 80% there now) .

1 Comments:

  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Mordechai said…

    Aren't you the slightest bit concerned that all this banal journalizing of your dog's formative days is going to have devastating psychological reprecussions once the beast is old enough to read?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home