Cody's Life

Saturday, February 18, 2006

So much for sleeping in on weekends. Long holiday weekends. Maybe I'll train Cody how to sleep in on weekends later, but it's doubtful until I teach him how to understand a Julian calendar. And then holidays would be even harder to teach.

I did a bunch of grooming with Cody last night to see how he would take it. It also rained yesterday, so it was good to see he is not afraid of water (or a stream of water from a faucet). He was more interested in lapping up all the water in the bathtub than the shampoo I was lathering on him.

He wasn't really great about letting me open up his jaw to brush his teeth until he realized the toothpaste was chicken flavored. Once he realized that, so much for brushing his teeth since he was trying to lick the toothpaste off.

The most challenging task was trimming his toe nails. First of all, there's 16 nails to clip. I had the guillotine tool and it was my first time, so it took me a little longer to get adjusted. I was also super nervous that I would cut his quick (which is a bit hard to see on a vizsla), so it just took forever. Plus, vizslas tend not to like to stand still for a half hour while you're doing strange things with their paws. I distracted him with a rawhide to chew on, but he still fidgeted a bit.

All in all, it was not as bad as I expected, I just need more practice to cut the time a little shorter.

Tip of the morning: Buy a dremel tool - it'll be much faster and easier to trim your dog's nails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home