Cody's Life

Friday, October 06, 2006

Cody's Training this week

Last week at the PetsMart obedience class, we practiced the command "stand" and started working on "come" with some distractions.

Cody knows how to stand, but if he sees me with a treat, his automatic instinct to sit or lie down overrides his desire to obey the "stand" command. It's actually quite funny to see him go through all his series of tricks when he really really wants something.

Anyways, even though I've said extend-leashes are evil, we've been using that leash this week to practice his come command ("come" doesn't make sense on a 4 ft. leash). It's not entirely successful when he's distracted, but that's where practicing comes in.

Also, I've applied for an off-leash permit to practice off-leash training in certain parks in my town. That should help a lot in practices as well. I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home