Cody's Life

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Is Cody Deaf?

Due to the infrequent occurrences of obedience, my co-workers often wonder if Cody is deaf. To be honest, I have often asked myself that question when I have given the same command over and over again, or when I lost him and he didn't come when I called him for half an hour.

Even though I would like to give Cody an excuse (or me an excuse for being a poor trainer), there are certain indications that prove that Cody is not hard of hearing.
  1. As the Gentle Leader is not known as a hearing aid, when he has it on, his immediate obedience means that he heard the commands and responded appropriately.
  2. He sure likes squeaky toys a lot for a dog who is apparently deaf.
  3. If he's lying down peacefully, he jumps up to stand if I even whisper "Potty"
  4. He starts to salivate when I mention "Greenie"
All in all, Cody is not likely deaf. He's just a stubborn brat sometimes and I need to improve my training skills. We've been working on it. Since my city issued me an off-leash permit (to practice training in certain areas in a few city parks), we'll be practicing that a bit this weekend. Stay tuned...His "hearing" might improve soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home