Cody's Life

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Training Collars (To Discourage Pulling)

Cody has two main problems when we go on walks:
  1. Pulling
  2. Jumping (on other people when he gets excited. It's friendly jumping, but I don't want him to knock over little children)
I wanted to give some background on his behavior to explain my opinions about the various collars I'm about to describe (listed in the order that they were tried).

  • Adjustable, quick-release nylon dog collar -
    • This is the standard collar. Most training classes, day cares, and boarding places require this type of collar because it is quick release if it needs to be. That is, the clasp is quick to disengage (rather than having a buckle with the collar looped through). I see this item in a separate category because all dogs should have this. All the other collars I'll be talking about are strictly training collars. Ideally, after the puppy is trained, you will forever use the regular dog collars. There are leather ones and buckle ones, but I only mention this type because it's the one Cody has used.
    • Advantage: Cheap and commonly accepted. Easily adjustable and easy to take off.
    • Disadvantage: Not helpful for training purposes.
    • Average Price Range: $3-$20 (depends on how fancy you want to get)
  • Choke collar/chain
    • This was first recommended to me by the instructor of Cody's beginner's puppy class. It's a simple design and chokes the dog when the chain is pulled. To figure out the right size, the loop needs to be just large enough to fit over the dog's head. It's pretty easy to put on the dog, but it does what it says it does - it chokes. Also, depending on which way you place the loose end, the choke collar can lock and choke the dog longer than you want it to. I never had this problem, but I also didn't find this choke collar all that effective in preventing either pulling or jumping (however, it was better than the standard nylon collar we have)
    • Advantage: Takes up little space and easy to put on.
    • Disadvantage: Not entirely helpful and can cause choking.
    • Average Price Range: $2-$6
  • Pronged collar (or German Pinch Collar)
    • This is not as hurtful or scary as it looks. I tried this on my arm and it was fine. It serves as a reminder to the dog to obey your command. Compared to the choke collar, it was very effective. Cody would only pull if he really wanted to charge ahead. However, my arm muscles weren't as strained as it was with the first two collars. This collar usually comes in one length, but it's like a watch - you just add links or take away links to fit your dog's neck. There should be about an inch of extra room once you put it on the neck. The disadvantage is that it's really hard to put on. You have to squeeze the steel prongs to fit into these small holes. Luckily, Cody knows he's going on a walk when I pull this collar out so he's patient with me while I put it on. This collar CAN NOT be pulled over the head since the prongs may take out an eye.
    • The PetsMart instructor refuses to allow her students to use this. She used to work for a veterinarian and had seen many accidents where the prongs went into the dog's trachea or neck. Honestly, I don't think this is a problem to worry about. There may be dogs that are so disobedient that they will harm themselves to get to where they want to go. For most dogs that you've already been training to some degree, I don't think this is much of a problem. Also, there are prong collars that have rubber tips that decrease the possibility of injury even further. However, the instructor still bans this type of collar. Since I can't use this collar in class, I had to find another option.
    • Advantage: Very effective for pulling. Adjustable for a variety of neck sizes.
    • Disadvantage: Not as effective for jumping, difficult to put on. May cause serious injury.
    • Average Price Range: $10-$20
  • Easy Walk Harness from Premier
    • Since I couldn't use the prong collar, the instructor first recommended the Easy Walk Harness. It was more gentle on the dog than the above collars, but a little harder to put on since it goes around both legs. I tried this on the first day of Cody's intermediate class, but it seemed to have the same effect as the prong collar. As I was reluctant to buy a whole new collar/harness (That runs around $15-$25) just to use in this one class, I decided not to get it.
    • Advantage: Effective for pulling, gentle (lower chance of causing injuries)
    • Disadvantage: Not as effective for jumping, very difficult to put on, more expensive
    • Average Price Range: $15-$25
  • Gentle Leader from Premier
    • Since the first class, the instructor forgot that she already recommended the Easy Walk Harness. However, this time, she recommended the Gentle Leader. Since it was free to try out during class (which was in the store), I thought I might as well use it and see. IT IS AMAZING! I literally can lead and make Cody heel at the pet store (where there are a million distractions) with just a pinky. I barely need to touch the leash to get Cody to go where I want. It was a little pricier than anything else, but it is the most effective BY FAR. In fact, it also discourages jumping. I cannot sing enough praises for this product.
    • The only disadvantage (other than price) is that it's a little complicated to adjust (but I didn't need to do that since my instructor did that for me) and it's a little harder to put on Cody. Basically, you just need to loop a strap over his snout and then snap the collar in place. In difficulty, it's probably more difficult than the quick-release nylon collar and the choke collar, but easier than all the others. Over time, it will probably be even easier as Cody will get used to it. Right now, he's not always thrilled to see me putting something over his muzzle. (Plus, I'm still getting used to it myself so it's taking me some time to put it on properly).
    • Advantages: Can lead/train with the smallest amount of effort. Prevents pulling and jumping. Very gentle without the danger of accidental injury. Can prevent barking and biting (I haven't tested this since Cody doesn't usually bark or try to bite when he's on a leash)
    • Disadvantages: A little pricey, moderately difficult to put on, complicated to adjust
    • Average Price Range: $15-$30
Today is my first day and Cody and I have had a few walks. In fact, it's almost a pleasure to go on a walk because it's remarkable at how quickly Cody is heeling. I am so excited about this product that I plan to have all my co-workers try it out when I take Cody to work on Monday to show them the difference. I am not exaggerating - a pinky is more than enough to control Cody with the Gentle Leader. Most likely, a pinky from a four year old or a 90-year old would be enough as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home