Cody's Life

Friday, August 25, 2006

Breeder or Shelter?

I know that there are a lot of heated discussions/arguments/fights regarding this issue.

I want to take this opportunity to explain why I chose to go with a breeder to get Cody.

Cody is my first "real" dog. I have met many shelter dogs that seemed to have "issues". While I have nothing against issues, I was worried about taking care of a dog (properly) much less taking care of one that had issues that I have no control over. I have met a lot of shelter dogs that vary in age and I have met none that were totally rehabilitated. (I'm not saying they don't exist, but I haven't met them which makes me worried of the percentage of dogs that can be rehabilitated. Also, for those who get shelter dogs, they probably want to rehabilitate the dog and even with the owner's patience, the dogs still don't rehabilitate fully). What I mean by rehabilitated is to have "normal" dog issues. Well-socialized, moderately behaved, etc... I am by no means expecting perfection for my definition of "rehabilitated dog".

Anyways, since Cody is my first dog, I thought I would have enough to worry about just by raising him properly. I wanted a fresh slate because I'm not sure I know how to "erase" a badly written slate.

Additionally, shelter dogs may have health issues that are unknown. The age and breed is usually unknown which means it's hard to plan the best way to train (some breeds have affinities for certain methods of training over others).

OK, all in all, if you are an advocate for sheltered dogs, these (and any other reasons) will be considered "excuses". I just feel strongly that I want to "do right by the dog" whatever dog it is. If that means I need to "wimp out" and get a dog from a breeder, that's what I'll do.

However, now that I'm a more experienced dog owner, I'm more inclined to get a shelter dog for my next dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home