Cody's Life

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Attack at the dog park

Yesterday I slept for most of the day (week of intense workouts) so I took Cody to the dog park so he can have some exercise.

A large half wolf puppy played pretty aggressively with Cody so I was watching them pretty closely. All of a sudden, Cody's yelping and they were mouth to mouth.

The other owner was able to get her puppy away from Cody and I noticed that Cody had done his "scared" elimination. After some further examination, it looked like the other puppy had clamped down into Cody's mouth and bit into his gums.

I took him home and he seemed ok - a bit emotionally exhausted, but bounced back like the puppy that he is.

I feel so torn about taking him to the dog park. He absolutely loves it and I think it's good to have him have experience with more aggressive dogs, but there's a line between aggression and straight out attack.

Yesterday we also saw another Vizsla and she was beautiful. I think the key differences were that Cody was more dirty and that Cody had more scabs and scars that she did. Cody seems to attract aggression (or bring out the worst in dogs since he has more energy and playfulness than most dogs at the park). Now that the weather is better, I think we'll limit our times at the park and maybe just leave interaction time for doggy day care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home