Cody's Life

Thursday, March 09, 2006

He is not Super Cody anymore!

Today, he played with another dog at work - a large golden retriever. Belvedere is one of the gentlest dogs I had known but had not had the chance to play with Cody until today. She went for Cody's rawhide and pig ear immediately while Cody anxiously tried to play with her. She gave a few warning growls, but Cody simply ignored it. After a few minutes, she became fed up with Cody and POUNCED on him! I could not see Cody underneath Belvie for those few seconds and Cody actually was scared enough that he peed (on my skirt).

Even though this was a terrifying moment for him, I think it was good for him to realize that maybe growls are indications that dogs do not want to play. And that he's not as invincible as he might have previously thought. I just hope that he doesn't assume all retrievers are like that and become skittish around them as he grows up. Now I have to find a retriever that will give him positive memories so he doesn't develop those issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home