Cody's Life

Monday, April 09, 2007

The Best Chew Distraction Ever!

Do you ever have the problem of filling up a Kong and having your dog finish it about 10 seconds after you give it to him/her?

Although Cody is not as fast as many other dogs, he usually will finish a Kong in a minute. This means that I can only use a Kong to distract him while I leave the room or for anything that is immediate, but I cannot use it as a means of distraction for a long period of time (meaning that I can't rely on a Kong to distract Cody if I ever take him to meetings or want him to stay quiet while I'm on the phone).

While I was in New York last month, my friend Andrew (who owns Addie), told me a trick that he picked up (apparently Addie can set a world record for Kong-finishing). Andrew said that he took a piece of sliced cheese, put it in the Kong, and stuck it in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds. That way, all the melty goodness stuck to the sides of the Kong, making it more difficult to get out. While timing it, Cody spent a total of 31 minutes with the Kong! That beats most other chew distractions (he has a short attention span....)

1 Comments:

  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Lex said…

    we shove ziggies in to the back. Phoenix eats the ziggy off, but it takes him hours to get out the stuff at the back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home